AdvanSix plays a critical role in global supply chains, innovating and delivering essential products for our customers in a wide variety of end markets and applications that touch people’s lives, such as building and construction, fertilizers, plastics, solvents, packaging, paints, coatings, adhesives and electronics. Our reliable and sustainable supply of quality products emerges from the vertically integrated value chain of our three U.S.-based manufacturing facilities. AdvanSix strives to deliver best-in-class customer experiences and differentiated products in the industries of nylon solutions, chemical intermediates, and plant nutrients, guided by our core values of Safety, Integrity, Accountability and Respect. More information on AdvanSix can be found at https://www.advansix.com.
- The Sr. Project Engineer performs a variety of project engineering work throughout the lifecycle of capital projects, including but not limited to conceptual design, detailed design, construction, commissioning/start-up, and project closure. This position supports scoping, design, procurement, construction, and commissioning phases of projects. Work is performed both in the field and office environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure the safe execution of all projects managed or in assigned areas, while working with appropriate Health/Safety/Environmental (HSE) personnel ensuring all government agency requirements (i.e., permits, notifications) are satisfied
- Manage the execution of small capital investments as project engineer through their entire life cycles in areas assigned: including prioritization, scope development, risk assessments, budgeting, engineering/design, procurement, construction execution, commissioning, startup, and project closure documentation
- Integrate plant personnel to ensure results that meet the needs of the plant customers
- Gain a familiarity with capital project management processes
- Work closely with the site Finance Manager to provide project evaluation and economic analysis on the capital investments for such managed projects; manage the overall effort leading to an approved Appropriation Request (AR)
- Manage several smaller capital investments and/or a few larger investments simultaneously at the home site location with potential to manage projects at remote locations as well
- Prepare bid packages and requests for quotes for materials, equipment and services
- Prepare and issue work packages to construction
- Monitor and control projects to meet the stated objectives and metrics commitments in the AR (both managed and in areas assigned); maintain a working knowledge of project controls (estimating, scheduling, and cost control), discipline engineering, construction management
- Forecast and manage capital expenditures on a monthly basis
- Interface with key site and company personnel to make maximum use of available resources, such functions include, but are not limited to, site engineering resources, purchasing, operations, systems, and business engineering, as well as equipment vendors, contracting firms
- Handle necessary Management of Change items in areas assigned and pre-Startup Safety Review requirements on projects assigned
- Oversee appropriate maintenance and records of all drawings, specifications, programs, and other documentation for such managed projects
- Provide support for the Business Strategic Planning, Annual Operating Plan, and the Six Sigma Initiatives in order to develop appropriate capital plans/budgets
- Advocate for strong safety awareness program with a consistent implementation of policies and procedures and participate in construction safety audits and contractor safety meetings
- Some travel is required (10%)
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering
- 5+ years of experience in engineering in petro-chem industries or similar industrial plant experience
- Working knowledge of industrial work practices as related to Health, Safety, and Environmental impacts
- Previous experience in engineering, construction, or construction management
- Previous experience in operations
- Experience in the management of financial budgets, projects, troubleshooting, team building, and overall leadership
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience in the use of SAP, MS Project, and other Microsoft Office products
- Strong attention to detail and computer literacy required
- Must be able to analyze field data in operating facilities
- Must be action-oriented and a self-starter
- Must be innovative and “think outside the box"
- Understanding of engineering and project management principles
- Strong working knowledge of chemical plant operations and processes
- Track record of successfully managing this magnitude of investments
- Formal training and certification as a Project Management Professional (PMP) is desired
At AdvanSix, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past work experience doesn’t perfectly align with every qualification in the job posting, we encourage you to still apply. You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles.
AdvanSix is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, religion, veteran status, or any other protected classification.
To all agencies: Please, no phone calls or emails to any employee of AdvanSix about this opening. All resumes submitted by search firms/employment agencies to any employee at AdvanSix via-email, the internet or in any form and/or method will be deemed the sole property of AdvanSix, unless such search firms/employment agencies were engaged by AdvanSix for this position and a valid agreement with AdvanSix is in place. In the event a candidate who was submitted outside of the AdvanSix agency engagement process is hired, no fee or payment of any kind will be paid.