AdvanSix plays a critical role in global supply chains, innovating and delivering essential products for our customers in a wide variety of end markets and applications that touch people’s lives, such as building and construction, fertilizers, plastics, solvents, packaging, paints, coatings, adhesives and electronics. Our reliable and sustainable supply of quality products emerges from the vertically integrated value chain of our three U.S.-based manufacturing facilities. AdvanSix strives to deliver best-in-class customer experiences and differentiated products in the industries of nylon solutions, chemical intermediates, and plant nutrients, guided by our core values of Safety, Integrity, Accountability and Respect. More information on AdvanSix can be found at https://www.advansix.com.
- The Sr. R&D Engineer/Scientist supports the research and development efforts aligned with the global business plans. In addition, this position is responsible for performing analyses and research driving new product development and commercialization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform polymer material analysis and develop, test, scale up, and commercialize new polyamide materials for packaging application.
- Fabricate polymer materials with secondary processes (extrusion, injection molding, blow molding, etc.)
- Perform other work related to process development based on the organization’s market needs and strategy
- Develop projects and partner with others on the team to generate new technologies and ideas that will impact the profitability of the business
- Lead various engineering and technical projects with an emphasis on contributing to new technologies/product development and process improvement
- Provide process expertise and operating knowledge to solve customer problems and support sales
- Work closely with internal customers, project teams, and other colleagues to solve technical problems
- Degree in polymer chemistry, polymer science, or material science; Ph.D. or Master’s preferred
- Six Sigma Green Belt certification a plus
- Demonstrated years of experience in related area, including experience developing and testing new polymer products and applications preferred
- Broad experience in polymer analytical techniques (Rheology, DSC, GPC, HPLC, IR, and NMR Spectroscopy) and analytical test method development
- Hands-on experience in operating multiple equipment and interpretation of analytical data for problem solving
- Deep understanding of polymer structure and property relationship and modification of properties through polymer synthesis; direct experience in polyamide chemistry preferred
- Working knowledge in polymer processing methods (twin screw compounding, extrusion, injection molding, and others) and polymer applications preferred (fiber, film, engineered plastics and packaging)
- Experience in conducting customer-focused projects and collaborating with cross-functional team (business and marketing) to drive innovation
- Familiarity with innovation processes like Stage Gate and able to use Six Sigma/statistic tools
- Knowledge of IP processes and patent filing
- Familiarity with FDA requirements for packaging resins
- Execution focused to manage project milestones, timelines, and resources
- Experience inventing, developing, and commercializing new products and/or improvements in a technology
At AdvanSix, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past work experience doesn’t perfectly align with every qualification in the job posting, we encourage you to still apply. You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles.
AdvanSix is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, religion, veteran status, or any other protected classification.
To all agencies: Please, no phone calls or emails to any employee of AdvanSix about this opening. All resumes submitted by search firms/employment agencies to any employee at AdvanSix via-email, the internet or in any form and/or method will be deemed the sole property of AdvanSix, unless such search firms/employment agencies were engaged by AdvanSix for this position and a valid agreement with AdvanSix is in place. In the event a candidate who was submitted outside of the AdvanSix agency engagement process is hired, no fee or payment of any kind will be paid.